A major producer of plastics in the United States is about to expand its business. As part of this expansion, it will begin to sell its products in Europe and Asia. In addition, it plans to open a plant in Asia. Jerry, the President and CEO, is concerned; he has heard many stories of companies that have tried to expand globally but operations either failed miserably or did not live up to expectations due to the cultural differences between workers and customers in each country.
Jerry has asked your group to research problems other companies have had with this issue and develop ways in which the errors and missteps those companies made can be avoided by his company.
Select a multinational corporation or international nonprofit agency that has encountered these problems (this can be a previous or current employer of yours). Using the Internet and the library, each individual in the group will research the organization to discover any cultural barriers that organization encountered and what its managers did to try to overcome those barriers.
Using the Internet and the library, each individual in the group will research the organization to discover any cultural barriers that organization encountered and what its managers did to try to overcome those barriers.
- Organization- Yahoo and their expansion in China
- discuss how appreciating cultural diversity affects peoples’ ability to communicate effectively in the context of a multinational corporation or an international nonprofit agency. Feel free to add your own experiences as well as quoting others
Answer these questions
- What are some potential methods of researching violence against women?
- Specifically, what are ways in which violence against women could be studied using interpretative and critical frameworks?
- What would you change and why?
- What different types of information would you likely obtain using this research process?